October 8, 2011

Change of Name: The detailed procedures to be followed

If any person wants to change his/her name for some or other reasons, which includes (Name after marriage). The procedure might take a minimum of six months considering various reasons.
Procedures to be followed:
File an application to First Class Magistrate (Of your area of residence) Requesting to change the name.
Attest your affidavit by a oath commissioner or notary.
If you are an NRI, then the affidavit needs to be attested by the respective Indian High Commission or Indian Embassy.
In a blank paper  type out the details as specified, which includes your old name, the new name you wish to adopt, your father’s or husband’s name and address, and your employer’s name. You have to sign this Proforma in the presence of two witnesses and have them sign the document as well.
Advertise in any one of the daily local newspapers, mentioning your father’s or husband’s name and address, and your intention to change your name. Be sure to get an original copy of this advertisement as it appears in the paper.
Send by registered post or you may either take in person the following:
1.The original advertisement, 2.Original Performa, 3.Attested affidavit, 4.Two attested passport (address proof) 5.photographs.
                        [Pay the fee for having your change of name published in the Gazette of India Part IV. The amount (in the range of Rs. 700 as of 2009) will need to be submitted in advance, in cash or by Demand Draft/Indian Postal Order drawn in favor of Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54. All of the above mentioned documents will have to be sent to the same address.]
                        [You have to obtain the copies of official gazette where your change of name has been published and use it as proof of your name change wherever needed. A couple of extra copies can be obtained for an extra fee of around Rs. 35 per copy. For NRI’s, the cost of advertising change of name in the Gazette of India is Rs. 2300/- which includes international postage.]
In short:
·         Advertisement in a local newspaper
·         Affidavit
·         Passport photographs
·         Proforma (typed)
·         Fees in Cash, Postal Order or Demand Draft

No comments: